10 reasons girl power beats aside the boys
By now you guys will all know how much I love my girls, whether they’re the ones that live on my doorstep, halfway across the country, or even thousands of miles across the world. They mean the world to me and I love the fact that I have managed to find so many amazing women who all share the same attitude as me to life. Even more so, I love that they have been with me through the very worst and the very best of times, have seen me in a complete state and at the top of my game, and love me no matter what. Men may mock girl friendships – and yes, some are a complete sham – but I reckon we girls have one up on you guys when we do things right.
You will, of course, get those friendship groups who chat shit about each other behind each other’s backs, steal each other’s boyfriends and generally make each other feel bad about themselves. Just like you do in some male friendship groups… But when we women club together, we have something you guys don’t – and that is a closeness that can’t compare to guy friendships I have seen. These girls are more than “just friends”, they are my sisters and my family – the ones I have chosen to share my deepest, darkest secrets with and the ones who will pick me up in the middle of the night when it all comes crashing down. As they say, your friends are the family you choose – and my friends are firmly an extension of my family.A few particularly good girl dates recently have inspired this post because they really got me thinking about what makes my friendships special – then I realised, they aren’t special at all to anyone other than me. Women up and down the country share equally incredible friendships with their girls – and while mine are completely unique and special to me, the general principals are exactly the same. For most of my life I have been more of a boy’s girl, but amazingly I have found myself at this point of my life with more girlfriends than ever before, and I have to say, my tastes have definitely changed. I love being surrounded by girl power, loud voices, fierce personalities and loving support. It makes me feel stronger as an individual, and forever grateful that every single day I know I have a tribe of equally strong women fighting my corner and cheering me on.
What do I love about my girls?
- They always involve wine, food, cocktails and a lot of chat – and any time can be wine o’clock.
- Half an hour and a bottle of wine is all we need to set the world to rights and solve everyone’s problems – okay we’re starting to sound like we have a drinking problem.
- We can happily go from having a quiet night in with a takeaway and X Factor, to having a candlelit dinner by the river, to raving until dawn at a festival. We’re just so versatile.
- Talking about EVERYTHING. With your girls, no conversation is off limits and it is important to girls to talk about every detail – you just don’t get that with guys. Plus boy problems always seem so much simpler when talked about with a girlfriend – but most guys I know don’t really talk about girl problems with their mates.
- We are loud. Boys think they can out-do us, or out-loud us, but get a group of girls together and tell them to have a catch-up and things get really LOUD. But my girls never judge me for being loud.
- Opinions are in full force and you can really have a heated debate about something you are really passionate about, then five minutes later we are talking about cake or lipstick.
- There is always someone on make-up or hair watch for you, guys don’t notice when your lipstick is smeared or you have fluff in your hair but a girl will always pick up on these things.
- On nights out, guys kind of dance awkwardly or barrel around drunk – girls will stand round in a group and dance their little hearts out. No matter how stupid the moves – in fact the sillier the better – you will dance in high heels until you can’t any more.
- A friend can always solve your problem for you by putting things in perspective, or just telling you a funny story. They always know someone who has been through the same thing.
- Snuggles with your girls are the best, whether its spooning each other at a sleepover or just a hug when you’ve had a tough day. Your girls always know when you need a hug and things are a bit much – guys just don’t seem to get that same comfort.
Don’t worry, I’m not shooting down guy friendships as I have plenty of my own. I’m just saying that girl friendships can sometimes get a bad rap thanks to those who don’t understand the concept of true friendship. But the point is that actually we really have something going for us and girl friendships, in my experience, seem to reach a level that guys should be jealous of and that we should be proud of as women. If you ask me, some women need to realise that supporting each other and cheering each other on is far more admirable than tearing each other down and casting judgement.
What do you love about your girls?
PS. Don’t forget to vote for me in the UK Blog Awards travel and lifestyle categories!! Click here and here to cast your votes xx