Welcome to my travel resources page!
*This page contains affiliate links – this means I get a teensy tiny commission which helps support this blog and doesn’t cost you a penny more.
Ever wondered how I manage to snag SUCH great travel deals and save so much on accommodation, airfare and travel? This page will give you access to all my favourite booking websites and all the best places to get travel essentials on a budget. My goal is to help you save money so you can spend more on your adventures once you arrive. Keep scrolling to find out all my travel secrets…
SAVE ON HOTELS AND ACCOMMODATION
Love booking your next trip, but hate watching the majority of your budget trickle away on hotels? Use these great resources for booking accommodation that won’t max out your budget and still enjoy the luxury or social vibe you’re after. Top tips for saving money on a place to stay:
- Solo travellers consider staying at a hostel – it doesn’t always have to mean backpacker parties – try boutique hostels or a private room in a hostel for a more social vibe.
- Loyalty to a booking agent can work in your favour – repeatedly using Booking.com can get you to a Genius level which means you get access to exclusive discounts on properties, free breakfasts, late check-outs.
- Don’t always go for hotels – try looking for apartments, private rooms, homestays, B&B’s and you might get a much better deal plus access to facilities like a kitchen which could save you more money on dining out.
- Compare prices across various websites including the hotel’s own website, Booking.com, Hostelworld, and various other booking agents – sometimes you can get a much better deal just by spending 5 minutes shopping around.
CUT TRANSPORT COSTS
Why spend a fortune on flights and taxis when you can save money for dinners and shopping on your next trip? There are so many ways to get better deals and cost the amount you spend on bus rides and train fares across the UK, Europe and beyond. Top tips for saving on travel costs:
- Be flexible! Sometimes just changing the time or the day you plan to travel can save you hundreds.
- Never book at the weekend, always book and shop using Incognito or Private Browsing mode on a Tuesday-Thursday as these days are cheaper.
- Instead of picking an expensive destination – why not try Flight Roulette and just pick the EVERYWHERE option on Skyscanner to find the cheapest flights?
- Go for overland travel – its better for the environment and your wallet – buses and trains can save you a lot of time and $$$.
BOOK ACTIVITIES WORLDWIDE
Whether it’s tours, attractions, food & dining, theme parks, rail passes or even airport transfers. These are the brands that could help save you money when booking. They’re brands I’ve used all over the world and they’ve helped me both stick to my budget and stretch it. From hot air balloon rides, to visiting animal sanctuaries and taking boat trips – it’s helped me make some of my wildest dreams come true, simply by utilising codes and discounts available from these brands.
- Shop around – often there are multiple options for the same tour or attraction. Pick the one that is right for you! You might be able to spend a lot less with a half day ticket.
- Try to book popular attractions for mid-week – it can be a lot quieter and sometimes the prices are reduced.
- Realise that you don’t have to do everything! It’s better to hand-pick some key activities that you will really love than race around trying to tick everything off.
- Book ahead for popular attractions/theme parks – it can mean the difference between the best day ever and disappointment if it’s sold out.
CHOOSE SUSTAINABLE FASHION
Fast fashion is having a huge impact on the world and climate change. Being sustainable doesn’t stop at eating less meat and not wasting water. It’s a lifestyle and that includes the clothes on our back and the shoes on our feet. Reduce your climate footprint and invest in your future by choosing brands that support our planet.
- Look into brands policies regarding waste, production of clothing, treatment of workers – don’t be afraid to raise questions
- Choose brands that use sustainable materials or even recycled materials
- Don’t go cheap and support fast fashion brands, instead invest a bit more in a product that lasts and protects the environment.
Look after your health while travelling
Your health is so important while travelling. Going abroad can expose us to new foods, different hygiene standards and lots of new germs. While that should never put us off travelling, it’s important to be prepared. While booking a trip, it’s important to check which travel vaccinations you might need to enter a country. Also to get expert advice on whether you might need malaria pills or any other medication.
DocHQ offer these services plus they can help you book appointments with healthcare professionals to get any vaccinations and medicine you might need.
My Travel Essentials
My top travel essentials that I couldn’t imagine travelling without. These are my most used items that have lasted me the longest and have travelled with me from one side of the world to another. While these may be slightly more expensive items – I’ve chosen very carefully which brands I want to invest my money in. And after more than six months of use – I can vouch for the quality of each.