The best travel minis for maintaining your beauty routine
*This travel minis post is a collaboration with Cosmetify
Whether you travel once a year, or once a week, it seems the bane of all our lives is trying to fit our luggage into the smallest space possible. Particularly if you’re travelling hand luggage only, or trying to comply with the under 100mls rule. It’s no easy task to maintain your beauty routine when you travel. But as someone who regularly flits between check-in luggage and hand luggage on trips. I’ve become very creative with ways of streamlining my skincare and haircare routine to make the most of my packing space. After all – don’t we all just want to keep things as simple and easy as possible when we travel?
As someone who travels a lot, it’s important to me to maintain a beauty and skincare routine. The changing climates, air conditioning, late nights and flights can take their toll on your skin and hair and quickly make them look dull and lifeless. We all want to arrive at our destination feeling glam and ready for our holiday, being prepared with our body’s favourite products is a great way to do that. Even if you’re travelling within the country or heading to a festival this summer, shopping for mini-versions of your favourite products can be a great way to save space. If you ask me, it’s a great way to make space for more outfits, books and perhaps a few extra ciders for at the festival.
Get prepared for your holiday with Cosmetify
I’ve teamed up with Cosmetify, a beauty discovery website with over 160,000 products from thousands of brands. Perfect for beauty lovers – the website stocks everything from makeup and hair products, to grooming, skincare, electricals and toiletries. If you’re planning a long-haul summer getaway or even a weekend city break in Europe, Cosmetify is the perfect place to pick up all your travel beauty minis. Whether you’re jetting off to Paris, Bali or Mexico, make sure you’re fully stocked with your favourite brands before jetting off. As important as a good sun screen is for your holiday so are your beauty essentials, especially travel minis.
My top 5 travel minis:
- Hydrating shampoo & conditioner – shop Aussie Miracle Moist here
- Dry shampoo – my favourite brand is Batiste – or you can shop Balmain or OUAI travel size dry shampoos here
- Sunscreen – pick up Hawaiian Tropic Satin Protection SPF 30 or Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive SPF 50+ here
- Exfoliating scrub & cleanser – Musaclean Pure Melt Cleansing Oil or MÁDARA Exfoliating Scrub Oil-To-Milk
- Hydrating moisturiser or serum – Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum Travel Size
Skincare is so important and maintaining a good routine can mean the difference between perfect glowing skin, and holiday breakouts. The changing temperatures can leave your skin prone to dry patches which is never ideal when you’re looking to top up your tan. I always make sure that I have the most hydrating products I can find – between the sun and travel, my skin and hair crave moisture. I also make sure I aways travel with a great cleanser and exfoliating scrub that will help stop my pores from getting clogged up with sunscreen and sweat if I’m travelling somewhere hot. There’s no better feeling than giving your face a good cleanse and your body a good scrub after a day of sunbathing, and then moisturising your skin.
My top beauty tips for your summer travels:
- ALWAYS wear sunscreen, even in the cities. Trust me, don’t believe those who say you can’t tan through sunscreen, it’s a lie. I’ve been wearing factor 50 for years and I still go darker than anyone on the beach.
- Pick up a leave-in conditioner spray – wash your hair after the beach and then spritz while damp, it will leave you with lovely natural waves and will help keep your hair soft and healthy.
- Choose two moisturisers – one for daytime with SPF and another that is super hydrating for night-time.
- If you’re looking to save space on liquids, pack make-up wipes to remove make-up. They’re not great for your skin but it’s a good space saver! If you do choose this option – don’t go for the cheap option. Do your research and find wipes that are recyclable or compostable such as the Yes To ones.
- When choosing a body moisturiser – go for a spray-on oil or after-sun with Aloe Vera. These are super soothing for your skin and don’t require rubbing in, just let your skin soak them up.
- Consider longer term solutions such as laser hair removal to reduce the amount of products you need to carry. Always speak to laser hair removal specialists to discuss whether the treatment is the right choice for you.
Holiday extras to make sure you pack
When you’ve managed to save on space thanks to packing your travel minis, why not use that space to throw a few treats in your bag? Some of my favourite holiday products to pack include cooling eye masks and foot sprays. These are ideal after a day out in the sun and walking around a new city. Pop them in the fridge to make them extra soothing on your skin. My favourites for a long flight or travel day include a moisturising facial mist and tissue mask. These are a fantastic way to arrive feeling fresh, plus it’s lovely to have a mini-pamper on the plane. And finally, a good foot scrub or pumice stone to get your tootsies ready for those summer sandals.
Make your holiday make-up bag environmentally friendly
One topic that is always on my mind is the environment and how to live a more sustainable life. There are more vegan, cruelty-free and sustainable products available in the beauty industry than ever before. But it is down to us to make the right choices when it comes to choosing our favourite brands. There are lots of simple ways you can make environmentally-friendly choices for your holiday beauty routine.
- Buy large versions of your favourite products and fill up your own travel minis to cut back on plastic waste
- Choose solid shampoos and conditioners to avoid excess packaging
- Find reusable and compostable options where possible such as make-up remover pads and make-up wipes
- Choose natural sunscreen to avoid washing chemicals into the oceans
- Go for natural products such as coconut oil and jojoba oil for hair, skin and nails
A huge thank you to my lovely friend, Kirsty of Kirsty Leanne blog, for shooting these pics for me!
What are your favourite holiday beauty products? Which travel minis can’t you live without?