It’s been a bit of a miserable start to the year for me with feeling this ill, but I refuse to let it get me down any more. Instead, last night, I dug out the diary I bought a couple of weeks ago and have started to fill it with people’s birthdays, events and all the exciting things I have planned for the year ahead.
Now I have to admit, by this time last year, I already had tickets booked to a range of huge festivals both in the UK and abroad, I had booked a summer holiday, I had plans for a glamping trip with my girls and lots more family get-togethers and the like. But this year I have flatly refused to book or organise anything until 2014 had truly begun, I wanted to start the New Year with a clean slate and then make plans.
This is something I am still excited about and although I already have some ideas in mind about the extra-curricular activities that I would like to do this year, I have yet to set anything in stone. But as a taster, here is a list of some of the amazing things that have entered my daydreams and that I would love to do this summer:
- Festivals – I’m hoping to squeeze in Secret Garden Party, Boomtown Fair, Shambala and Wyndstock this year, with possibilities of getting tickets to Glasto and Bestival as well – I dream big and want to take full advantage of my role as editor of the website by going to as many as possible. I’m even hoping I might get the chance to do another one abroad – perhaps Exit Festival combined with the anniversary festival in Montenegro.
- Trips to London – my family will soon have the London flat and I plan on taking advantage of it by using it as much as possible to stay in while visiting the museums, markets, friends, Notting Hill Carnival and much more.
- Uni reunions with the House of Boobs girls, I’m sad to be missing the first one in a few weeks time, but it can’t be helped because I promised another friend. I plan on fitting a lot more of these in this year to make up for it.
- Trips to visit Rach at her new Oxford home, I miss my bestie a lot and felt terrible that I was just too busy to be able to fit in a visit late last year, but I definitely plan on squeezing a few in this year.
- Couple time – me and Mark have already started thinking about some trips we can make just the two of us next year, we both realise that we didn’t spend enough time just the two of us this year so we plan to make up for it with a trip to Amsterdam in the spring, followed by a summer holiday and possibly a trip away next New Year to celebrate by ourselves.
- I’m making sure that my mum and I fit in a few spa days and that as a family we have a few trips to London to visit the flat, but we may also fit in a trip to NYC to visit my sister if it fits with our plans and holiday time.
- I’ve also already got a few tickets that were given to me as Christmas presents for comedians and gigs that I’m looking forward to going to.
- And of course, I must mention the Irish wedding that is set to take place in a castle!
It sounds like a lot, but scattered throughout the year it keeps me nicely busy and I would rather be run off my feet than bored waiting for life to happen! I don’t plan on doing everything on this list, likewise, I might do other things that aren’t on the list, but it’s nice to have some ideas.
What have you got planned for the year ahead – do you make plans or are you more spontaneous?